The search for modern architectural forms of great expression and versatility based of the repetitive elements has led to the creation of a new type of bar systems, the so-called structures.
These systems have a "crystalline" structure, and are similar to some very strong formations of the organic nature. The practice of domestic and foreign construction has many examples of the use of lattice structures in the form of shells, folds and domes. However, in their vast majority the lattice structures are used in the form of bar slabs. These structures are made of steel, aluminum, wood and in certain cases plastic. The domestic civil construction also uses the regular structure slabs from the reinforced cement elements.
The structures have a number of advantages, the correct use of which can improve the economic efficiency of the construction compared with the conventional solutions.
The benefits include:
- The spatiality of the system
- Improved reliability at the sudden destruction
- Reduced height of the building roofing (span)
- The ability to bridge large spans
- Ease to design overhead lifting lines and false ceilings
- The possibility of free placement of the equipment (on the spans)
- Lightened roof fencing structures thanks to the dense element grids
- Maximum unification of the nodes and bar elements
- Line production of the metal structures on the high-technology lines
- Reduced transportation costs and the possibility of delivery to the remote and hard to reach places
- The ability to use sophisticated methods of mounting and assembly on the ground and lifting the frame in large blocks
- Dismountable (if necessary)
- Architectural expression and the possibility of applying to various buildings
At the same time the economic feasibility of the structures is fully achieved during their serial production at the specialized plants.
Being the large span structures the structural slabs are better used with the dense grid of columns, the transition to which in most cases is progressive. The benefits include the free-pattern design, the flexibility to change technologies, as well as space saving.
The problem of the suspension transport in the structures is solved much easier than in the conventional roofing. The dense grid of load bearing units allows the suspension of cranes, hoists and conveyors with minimal additional cost in any construction zone.
The inherent uniformity of structure units and bar elements allows switching to the flow mechanized production of metal structures for the various purpose buildings, significantly reducing the manufacturing cost. The mass production is known to significantly increase the efficiency and quality of structure production.